13 Feb Our Top First Dance Songs
When it comes to choosing that perfect first dance song, there’s a lot of pressure to make it memorable and fitting of your unique relationship.
If you’re lucky and you and your partner have the same taste in music, then deciding on a first dance song should be a piece of cake! However, if your music tastes are miles apart, then finding the perfect song may be a bit of a struggle.
The first hurdle towards choosing “your” song starts with deciding on a theme. Do you want upbeat and energetic? Or sophisticated and classy? This is extremely important as it really does set the theme for the rest of the night’s antics!
For your evening guests, this will be the first time you’ll be seen as newlyweds and you don’t really want to be seen bopping side by side to a song that doesn’t express your personality as a couple.
There are also several other points to consider, namely, length of the song, tempo, and lyrics. Three minutes is a mighty long time to dance when everyone is looking at you, and five minutes will feel like an age.
Beyond this, you also need to think about the style of dance you’ll both feel comfortable doing in front of a crowd and how the song lends to that.
Stressed yet? Don’t worry, we’re here to help!
The easiest option is to choose a classic; Sinatra, Van Morrison, Aerosmith etc. These are timeless tunes and you’ll be more likely to remember them with fondness instead of choosing the latest chart anthem. But, if slow songs aren’t really your jam, don’t be afraid to increase the tempo a little bit with a faster number.
An upbeat first dance song will not only bring a smile to everyone’s faces, but it may also mean your other guests will want to join you sooner rather than later on the dance floor.
Here are our top ten first dance candidates:
1. At Last – Etta James: An all-time classic. Its passionate vocal and sweeping orchestration makes it a top pick for your first dance.
2. A Thousand Years – Christina Perri: A new modern favourite for many romantics. This song was re-recorded especially for the Twilight Breaking Dawn Soundtrack!
3. All of Me – John Legend: Similar to above, this has become one of the greatest modern love songs, and is perfect for a romantic first dance.
4. Stand By Me – Ben .E. King: The original is brilliant, as is the version performed by the gospel singers from the Kingdom Choir at Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s wedding last year.
5. Faithfully – Journey: Who doesn’t want to dance to a power ballad about love? This is a great choice if you want a song to start off slow and build into a higher tempo.
6. Say You Won’t Let Go – James Arthur: This acoustic song by the cheeky Northern popstar was a massive hit a couple of years ago, and it just also happens to be a great choice for a first dance too!
7. Love on the Brain – Rihanna: Stepping away from her usual genre, Rihanna’s take on Doo-Wop and Soul resulted in a melodic and sombre jam that is a great choice for any first dance. Just be sure to play the clean version at your wedding!
8. Marry You – Bruno Mars: If romance isn’t your thing and the thought of a ‘soppy’ first dance repulses you, then this is the song for you! A fun upbeat tune from Mr Mars that’s guaranteed to get everyone dancing!
9. Kissing You – Des’ree: You may recognise this from the scene in Romeo + Juliet when Leonardo DiCaprio’s Romeo first lands eyes on Claire Danes’ Juliet. An epic, yet very romantic choice for any first dance.
10. I Wanna Be Yours – Arctic Monkeys: If you’re looking for something a bit different and alternative in your first dance, then this is a great choice! The song features lyrics from one of the classic style of love poems from John Cooper Clarke!”
There you have it, our top picks for that perfect first dance song! Remember to relax, enjoy yourselves, and most importantly, dance the night away.
If you are recently engaged and would like to book a viewing of our completely exclusive wedding venue, drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07833253416. Alternatively, you can find us on Facebook or Instagram.