Tilstone House was built for Old Etonian Gilbert Greenall (later 2nd Baronet and 1st Baron Daresbury). The house was built primarily as a hunting lodge, albeit on a grand scale. Baron Daresbury (as he later became known) was one of the great huntsmen of the early twentieth century. The Greenall’s cemented Tilstone House’s a social hub, regularly entertaining on a large scale.
By now, Tilstone was home to Major Major Frederick Howard Wingfield Fetherstonhaugh and his wife Beatrice. He was an extra Equerry to HM King George V and ran His Majesty’s thoroughbred stud. The Fetherstonhaughs were still at Tilstone in 1920.
Mrs Mary Emma Dempster, wife of John Dempster, bought Tilstone in around 1920. John and Mary Dempster had a taste for the finer things in life and lived in a sequence of palatial houses, which included Drimsynie House (Lochgoilhead), Methven Castle (Perth) and Keele Hall (Staffordshire). They also spent time aboard their yacht, the ‘Vol- au-Vent’. Mrs Dempster lived at Tilstone with ten servants until her death on the 31st January 1932.
By 1935 the Winterbottom family were living at Tilstone House. Oscar Dunstan Winterbottom was a son of Old Etonian Book Cloth manufacturer, millionaire George Harold Winterbottom. The Winterbottoms were part of Cheshire society, and were extremely keen hunters within the region. Captain Oscar Winterbottom was such a keen horseman that, when arthritis gave his leg terrible pain, he began to hunt sidesaddle!